home for holidays

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Why the 24th is so Special...

I feel like I have a lot of schoolwork to avoid to say.  So, I'll just keep typing  my posts and so be it.  (Ray is out watching the game and I can't sleep if he is not here.)

Most people who know us know that we got engaged on the 24th of December.  We try to get through the day with the kids celebrate that day, but we don't always have a moment of time. Sometimes, one of us will mention- hey, remember what we were doing eight years ago?  But then we usually think that we were rested and young and tan and thin and that ends that conversation.  I remember that Ray wanted to open gifts all day, and people kept calling suspiciously to see what we were up to.  I kept asking Ray if his family always called so much to see what was going on.  We lived in our rental house in Towson and had only been together for seven months (I know, I know- every parent's nightmare).  

I told Ray that it was tradition to eat dinner, and THEN open gifts.  I couldn't figure out why he started dinner so early.  I went upstairs after dinner and when I came back down Ray had lit candles and had gifts in the middle.  I got mad that he might catch the cat on fire with the candles.  He blew some out.  He gave me some gifts from my stocking- I gave him socks (you can see them in the picture)- had I known what was coming I would have NOT bought him socks.  One of the gifts was jewelry cleaner (that he gave me). Great.  I own no jewelry, and have no purpose to clean any.  I thanked him and looked for the next gift.  The next one was a box.  I was excited- earrings! 
Background- we had decided to get married and were planning our wedding.  I did NOT want a ring.  We did go and pick them out and looked around.  I decided it wasn't my thing and thought that was that.  (Apparently, according to Ray, he called my dad at some point and asked permission. My dad apparently asked him if he was sure, and then laughed and said that I was all his now- as in maniacal, horror movie laughter- bwahahahahahaha.  Thanks, Dad.)


When Ray opened the box I actually cried. Who knew?  And then he cried smiled heartily.  I asked him whose diamond was in the middle (he had access to some family diamonds). He told me it was mine.  (As in he picked it out at a store.)  Apparently, it's vintage from the 20s or something.  I love vintage.  
He did actually ask if I wanted to marry him and of course, we know what I said.  I asked him if he knew the answer and he told me that men don't ask that question if they don't know the answer.

Then, we called everyone to tell them and of course, every single personal already knew.  

Ray in our messy house with his Christmas gift of socks, Duncan in the background, and the candles he lit- this is AFTER he proposed.  He's barefoot, so I guess he needed those socks after all.

Obviously those are tears of joy, and that's the goods on my hand.

Ray, after we were engaged, wondering what he was getting himself into... he should have run when he had the chance.
I just felt like remembering this day since it is Christmas themed.

No comments:

Post a Comment