home for holidays

Friday, December 23, 2011

One more day....

I think that was the motto all day long.  It's just one more day.  One more day to work, one more day to wrap, bake, clean, and find Brooks's tie, and one more day to breathe before a whirlwind of two days.  I almost hate getting to this point of Christmas.  You start making lists of what you haven't done and what you don't have instead of looking at what you've done this year, where you've been and who you've been with.  And then your mind will trickle back to the fact that you are out of tape....

So, with this post, I will let you know my reconciliation with Christmas this year:
1.  My house will not be spotless or a model home.  The toilet paper will be stocked, the kitchen wiped down and the diapers put outside.  I promise to vacuum and dust, but I will not be chasing around the dog to dustbust him, and I will not have time to polish the silver.  We will use patina'd dishes and call it vintage.
2.  I cannot find my 'nice' tablecloth.  We will use the second best one, and I will not spend more time tomorrow looking for 'the' tablerunner that matches my Christmas dishes.
3.  I will try not to chase the kids around on Christmas morning meticulously throwing away paper and ribbons, I will allow them to trash the place and I will sit in the mess and enjoy it instead of frantically looking for a recycling bin.
4.  I will remember to let the dog out before the gifts are opened.
5.  I will have caffeine before the gifts are opened- this will help with #3.
6.  I will not fret about the fact that Abby has decorated with a Fourth of July balloon or that there is a stocking on the mantle that has a phantom owner- where did she find this, and where is my stocking?
7.  I will wade through the toys with a smile on my face.
8.  I will remember that since we prepared the food (on Sunday) , I too should sit down and have a meal (and Ray).
9.  I will shut my eyes at the blessing at my mother in law's house instead of making faces at my nieces.  This is not the time to teach bad manners.
10.  I will remember that finances, the credit card bill, the financial advisor, the bills and our paychecks do not matter today.  It is about something much, much more and this day is truly a day to be grateful.  

Merry Christmas!
p.s- For those of you who are reading this and thinking- ahahhahahaha, laura you are nuts- I really am going to try to enjoy the season and not be Type A.  Work is over for a few days and I am glad to be at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment