home for holidays

Friday, July 20, 2012

Summer!



I have not written in a VERY long time.  It has been kind of a whirlwind between the end of the school year and the beginning (and now middle) of summer.  The kids have been enjoying the hot weather.  It's amazing how they don't seem to mind the heat despite the hot that the humidity is kicking and there is a constant stream of sunlight.  They also like to utilize this time to do dangerous stunts- such as swinging off of the ladder from the swingset to do "cool tricks" and trying to flip from face to butt first halfway down the slide.  On the cold days, parents get to sit in the lawnchair and watch the action, on the hot days we get to spot the gymnastic and aerobatic acts that are performed continuously in the yard.  Why can't the kids just play in the sandbox?  Why does no one use that little green turtle full of trucks and sand?  I would- it's shady, entertaining and doesn't require much effort.  But maybe that's not fun. 

We have been doing some indoor things too.  Brooks has been to the Walter's Art Gallery twice and Abby has gone once.  They really like going on weekends for Family Art Days.  Kids of all ages can go during weekend hours (it's all free)- check out art things to wear, use or read during their trip to the museum and complete an art inspired craft.  While we don't really "look" at all of the artifacts, we do like to peruse the "really big pictures" and the "statues with no underwear." 







The kids have been busy with Ray during the day since I have been working, and I know that they have been spending a lot of time in the big blue pool and doing some outdoor things.  They really like being outside (see above) and Ray likes being outside too.  Perfect match.  It's been busy around here, and even though it's summer, it hasn't really slowed down.  I've been meaning to clean the basement for about three months and I've only been down there for laundry.  I'm sure Ray has a plethora of things to do, and none of them are done.  Where has our summer gone?  Where is the time?  We have been reading a lot more and both kids go to the library at least once a week.  We are whipping through the summer reading program. 

Brooks has started talking more- hi, bye, cookie, my poop, thank you, love you, no, and sit down are his favorites now.  Unless you know him, he needs a translator.  Everything garbles together, but he is just learning and working very hard with his words.  He is VERY interested in trucks (cars, as he calls everything).  He points them out everywhere we go.  Ray had to take him to the tire place today and apparently he wanted to go into the garage and help and ogle the cars there.  He has amassed some cars from around the house- an old Jeep with no remote control, Barbie's VW bug and dune buggy with no roof, some dump trucks and some other things that we had from Abby when she used to like cars and trucks.  He plays with them ALL OF THE TIME.  In fact, when we got back from Florida, the first thing that he ran for was his pile of cars and trucks.  He said "vroom" and "honk" and sat down to play right away.  He likes to read books about trucks, look at Car and Driver and point out Jeeps everywhere he goes.  Very cute.

Abby is very much into reading.  She likes to play bookstore, library and school.  I can see where this is going.  She also likes to dress up, play doctor and "cook" in her play kitchen and in our kitchen and swim.  She has been taking lessons at Kids First Swim School.  Last summer she would not get off of the ladder and we were heading in that direction this year.  The year prior she was fearless in the water.  This frustrated me because I was a lifeguard many moons ago.  I also taught swim lessons.  But, it's the old adage- kids won't learn from their parents new tricks.  So, we signed her up for classes.  From class one, she has been kicking, blowing bubbles and going under water- voluntarily.  Hooray! Success! I think that we might keep her in year round.  She is very excited about the Olympics.  I DVR'd some of the trials for her of swimming and gymnastics and it's all stars and glitter in her eyes.  She wants to take gymnastics.  I'll look into that maybe in the fall.  She is jealous that I said that Brooks could take dance when he turns two (promotes listening and energy outlets- perfect)- but I reminded her that she cried the whole time and wasted my dance tuition money and that new pair of tap shoes.  She made the stink eye and ran into the other room.  I think that if I presented her with new goggles or some gymnastics like leotard she might be fine with that. 
The Berenstain Bears are super popular in this house.  I have read about manners, gimmies, food, spooky caves, holidays, jobs and church.  Abby likes to point out the pictures of the books that she has read on the back of the paperback books.  My favorite is when she doesn't get the names quite right- for instance- The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Money (WHAT?!?! I want to know the lesson in that one).  or The Berenstain Bears Eat Lunch - that sounds like a snoozer.   I do remember reading these when I was little.  The first one I ever got was for my birthday and it was the one about birthdays.  I read it (or had it read to me) a lot.  It was my favorite and I was excited that these bears were making a show in our house.  At least we are moving away from those Dora books.  Ugh.  If you have not read one, let me give you a hint:  Hola.  I'm Dora.  I have an adventure.  We have to stop Swiper.  (Insert boring plot line here in short choppy sentences, throw in a map and then magically solve all riddles with short choppy sentences.)  Thanks amigos.  Mommy falls asleep after reading.  For.  The.  Nineteenth.  Time.

We just got back from Florida.  The Henry's are not a vacationing folk.  Ray and I used to travel LOTS.  LOTS.  LOTS.  Then we got old, poor and had a couple of kids.  (Reverse the order- had kids then got poor.)  We went to Tampa to visit his parents and had a nice time.  It's always nice to stay somewhere where the kids have their own room, and there are two people who dote on your kids and let you take breaks.  And use their pool and big jacuzzi tub.  It was actually a very fun trip for us.  Minus the fact that there were a few sleeping issues- my big pet peeve with the kids.  We ended up taking a day trip to Disney with Abby.  She had never been, we wanted to go and we bit the bullet and bought the tickets to the Magic Kingdom.  It was great.  I am not an amusement park fan.  I hate rollercoasters, big crowds of fat people with white sneakers and backpacks and matching shirts, and carnival food as a meal.  But, Disney was AMAZING.  Clean.  Happy.  Friendly.  Polite.  Even in sweltering direct heat.  We were disgusting by the end of the long day, but it was fantastic and I would do it again and again and again.  Abby loved meeting the characters and we rode about five rides.  Abby and Ray did Big Thunder Mountain Railroad- I was very impressed with them both (well, him for dealing with her and her for doing it.)  I can't wait to go back one day. 

We also went to the beach while we were in Florida.  It was nice to take them to the Gulf because there were no big waves.  One of the best things (and my camera was not with me) was when Brooks and I were on a deck that overlooked the water.  He wanted to spend his time running up and down the deck's ramp.  Earlier that morning, Ray and Abby were in the water and heard and saw Dolphins about 30 feet from them.  They were very close and in shallow water. There were many of them.  I heard the same thing when Brooks was running around.  I looked over the deck and saw a dolphin coming straight to shore.  It swam around some people who could touch it and big blue fish were jumping everywhere (the tide was in).  It came right up to the deck and blew air out of the blowhole.  I was amazed.  They are so beautiful.  Brooks came up and started yelling at it over the rails.  He seemed excited.  I would have taken him down in the water except I was worried he would make a racket about me taking him away from the deck.  I was really excited to see his first dolphin with him and it was very close to us!  A man next to us said he has been at this beach for ten years and has never seen one eating that close to shore. 

The kids did well on the plane.  One the way down, Ray sat with Brooks.  His ears popped because he wouldn't drink something on the way up and then was a big crab pot for part of the trip.  Abby was great and read on the Nook a lot.  On the way back, I got Brooks.  I geared up for two hours of madness, but he fell asleep for an hour and I enjoyed my in flight silence and snack while he was in his carseat.  I was about to turn around and make smirking faces at Ray like "ha ha look at my trip with Brooks" when he woke up.  Sigh.  He was very good though.  We read a lot of books, ate some snacks, and I took him to the plane bathroom with me where he cried because it was scary.  The plane wasn't full, so he was able to get out and mess with the seatbelt on the seat beside of me for awhile.  The kids were great, our luggage didn't get lost and other than the TSA being rude, the airline was very helpful.  On the way down TSA security told Ray to shove the stroller through the Xray belt.  It got stuck in the machine and they told us that it was ridiculous that people fly with kids.  They told Ray to get the stroller out and he refused.  Isn't that a security breach to tamper with the TSA equipment.  So, we held up the ENTIRE line.  Oops.  Then, they still had to use their little beeping magic wand on the stroller.  Over and over and over.  On the way home, I saw them using the wand on a newborn who was asleep in his Mom's snuggy sack.  I kind of felt bad for them being randomly pulled even after walking through the little beeping wall/scanner.  Traveling with kids is not as easy as when we threw stuff in a bag and left on a whim.  It's a process that requires weeks of careful planning and debatable questions- which stroller?  which diaper bag?  does he/she need this/that/the other thing?  what if?  delays?  turbulence?  sickness?  fever?  sippy cup in security?  who sits with whom?  where do we sit?  window?  will Brooks break something?  will Abby scream?  is there a snack on the plane?  what should I pack for them to eat?  why do I have to read the truck book for the 95th time?  why is there no wifi on this flight?  why is the free airport wifi seven dollars?  where is mcdonald's?  don't they have kids cups?  -- you get the point.  phew.  I'm glad our virgin flying trip with kids is over.  We will never be the seasoned pro but we at least have done it effectively. 


With Mary on the playground!




Just a little bit of luggage...

At the beach on Thursday!

First time at the beach.


So candid and cute.

Mmmm Capri sun!

Tickets to Disney!

Jessie goes too!

Small World- Grandpa Henry hates this place.

Her first character.  He is eating her head off here.


Waiting to see Tiana.

At the parade- hiding from the sun.


One of my favorites- and I think they did an amazing job with her makeup.






Chilling with grandpa on the reclining seat.


Airplane home.


I hate this seatbelt.  You are so mean for buckling me in. Put me back in my carseat.
I like summer.  I think that it would be nice if it was longer.  This year was a blessing- it's the longest one we have had or will have for awhile.  It's nice to watch the kids grow up and be quirky.  I love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment