home for holidays

Thursday, November 29, 2012

It's Been Awhile....

Well, apparently I have not felt like writing in this blog for four months.  Thanks for the reminders everyone.  

I will have to upload pictures later.  Since you all watch my FB and get updates, I'm sure you have seen everything you need to see for now.

Since I can't possibly recap four months and as the terrible parent I am, I can't think of one thing that happened in four months (Mommy brain), I'll just tell you stuff that is random and not organized.

Well, the holidays are upon us.  I knew this was going to be a long season when I wandered into Target in April when they were putting out back to school stuff- SERIOUSLY?! I haven't even ENDED the current school year and you are putting out NEXT year's stuff.  Then, in July, the winter coats came out.  I'm not stupid.  Time to buy.  I've played that game before with Target.  This is the "I'm going to wait until it's actually cold to buy a coat for my kids. - Call my bluff, Target!"  And then, bam! It's cold, there are no gloves, no hats, no boots under 45 dollars and the only coat left is some ugly lime green thing in a size NB.  However, for your shopping pleasure there is a LARGE display of bathingsuits out immediately after Christmas.  No way.  Abby and I actually went to Walmart and scoured for gloves.  I bought THREE pair in her size and Brooks's size.  Those little things get lost, and by February, I'm wrapping the kids' hands in socks and lunch bags because I can't find another glove.  Let alone a matching set.  And as far as boots, don't get me started.  Last year we were so excited that Brooks got super-cool snow boots.  IT NEVER SNOWED.  Now, the only pair in this house in his size is pink.  Do I gamble?  Keep the pink and hope for now snow?  Or, keep the pink and get slammed with a blizzard so hard there are nine million pictures of the kid out in plastic baggy hands and pink boots- smells like the makings of a serial killer to me.  So, anyone out there- Brooks needs snow boots for Christmas (size 7 - or 8 so we can hopefully reuse next year). 

In continuing my deal with the holidays, I was all "done" with shopping.  I was really excited about my "score" and "winning" on ebay with my Rapunzel Castle set complete with light up Rapunzel.  And I saved a ton of money.  I set it up and played with it and was oohing and ahhing over Flynn.  And then... Ray bought Abby a Power Wheels car.  Bam.  Done.  I can already see next Wednesday when Abby turns five.  I will present her with the super awesome castle.  Ray will present her with the even more awesome car.  Rapunzel will be strewn all about and backed over and run over with the car.  Ta ta Flynn Ryder.  

 I'm waiting around making sure the DVR can kick on for Project Runway AND Happy Feet simultaneously.  After it DELETED everything we had on there last week, I'm a little bit surly and untrusting of that piece of crap.  Anyway, that was a detour of complaints.

I think that the Christmas shopping is done for the kids.  I've been cross-referencing against the lists of things that the grandparents are disclosing, and with what I expect them to be unwrapping for birthdays (Abby's is next).  My mom and I went and laid away mostly everything in October.  That was nice because it wasn't in the house, and I was pretty much done before bathingsuit Christmas season at Target started.

We finally got our family photos done.  There are very few pictures of Brooks around the house.  It's like one of two things- a time warp (where we don't want to admit we are aging or that Abby is older than two) or second child syndrome/issues.  Brooks photographs so well, it's hard not to snap nine million pictures of him.  What is hard is getting those suckers developed.  And then, when we remember to do that, they get "put away" for framing.  Never framed.  And then reprinted because I'm not quite sure where they are, or the pictures are six months old.  So, we finally got our family photos done.  We had to reschedule for various reasons and the last time we could get them done was on a Saturday a few weeks ago.  The first COLD Saturday morning of the year.  35 degrees cold.  Rudolph red nose cold.  Our pictures worked well for the first seven minutes.  Then, it was pretty much done.  There are bags of chips strewn everywhere in those photos that you can't see- that's how we got the kids to smile and follow us when they kept trying to run away and get in the warm car.  It turned out well (for the most part).  The (one) family photo worked out well (except I have my glasses on).  There were a few good ones of the kids when I swear are photo-shopped to hell.  

So, goal - frame these pictures before Brooks turns seven.

Alright, I need to get some stuff done.  The DVR is working.  

I promise to try to post soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment