I can count on my hands the number of times that I have been alone for more than two hours with both kids. And, we've had two kids for about 15 months now. My husband is that hands on. And, because of my work schedules, he's the one pulling the load during the week. On weekends we usually split the errands and kids and no one really has to take both of them anywhere. (Well, except for Ray, who is awesome and took both kids for shots on the SAME day.) Tonight, Ray went to watch the Super Bowl with some friends and I thought that was great since he deserves the break. I was actually excited to prove myself as super-mom, get some stuff done, keep the kids entertained, well-fed and happy, and take them both out in public.
 |
| What I feel like some days. |
|
|
So, after Ray left, we went to the Home Depot. I was really hoping they would have some pansies (they didn't) and a paint sample I wanted (they didn't). There were also only about seven people there and they were all women. There was also a man who looked really
pissed off beyond belief enamored to be with his wife shopping for plants. We pretty much had the run of the place, and I was tempted to let the kids go run while I hung out in the patio furniture and bought a coke. They seemed really excited about the ride on lawn mowers- but I decided to hold back and keep them in the cart. We roamed around and came across a display of cheap remnant rugs. For those of you who have been in our house, we have no rugs on our main level. Our house is small and people never seem to get their shoes off when they come in. Every rug has been ruined, and our pets are not helpful. After throwing out rug after rug, we stopped buying them.
The kids have rugs in their rooms, but not in their little playroom downstairs. They were salivating at the prospect of an $8.99 3x5 rug and Abby was begging me for the 'shaggy one' like it was a puppy. "We'll take care of it!" "I'll help clean it." So, I got them the rug and we came home. It was pretty much a National Holiday around here when I unfurled it. They both rolled on it like they were little animals nesting. Luckily, the "Magic Carpet from the Depot" entertained them while I made
a gourmet dinner a crappy meal. I'm glad my neighbor didn't come over.
One would think that having two college degrees would come with perks. Common Sense. (Nope) The ability to reason quickly (nope). The ability to make pancakes and French Toast- not for me! I cannot make French Toast or Pancakes to save my life. My french toast is always soggy and looks like there is an egg cooked on top. Of course, this is what Abby wanted for dinner. I tried to disguise the mystery bread/breakfast product with fruit and syrup. She managed to
choke down enjoy with great smiles the French Toast and didn't make too many comments except to tell me that Daddy makes a 'good French Toast.' Brooks ate it without a peep.
I was feeling great about my evening alone with the kids, and then I realized that it had only been an hour and 45 minutes. I had to get creative after dinner, and we all played with some alphabet blocks and made up some games with those (on the new rug). Then, Abby and Brooks had a show down over a book with a squeaky toy in it. I let them duke it out. Brooks won.
The rest of the evening was uneventful. They both went to bed nicely (surprising), and there was only one injury- Brooks fell flat on his face because he was so tired before bed.
So, that was my super evening. I rock. So, I'm not sure that I met all of my goals for the evening, but I think that it went okay...
No comments:
Post a Comment