home for holidays

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Snow- But Kind of a Waste

Everyone loves snow! It's fun, it's exciting and it's usually time off from work.  Unless, the snow comes on a weekend.  It's a waste of inclement weather.  One, it drags down your weekend, and two, the excitement of waking up to a day off is ruined.  
Anyway, today we awoke to a little over an inch of ice and slush.  It was like a cake- icing on top and fluff underneath.  Abby was chomping at the bit from 7am to get outside.  It was freezing! Finally, we could hold her off no more and we bundled the kids up to go outside around ten.  Ray worked on shoveling and I managed to fight Brooks into a snowsuit, socks, boots, hat and mittens.  Anyone who has met Brooks knows that he is a real pain in the patootie very adamant about not getting dressed.  I was personally excited to put on my snowboots.  I got them after Christmas, and have not had new snow boots for as long as we have been married.  I love them.  And, I was super excited to lace them up.
Finally, we emerged into the winter wonderland of ice.  Guess what?  It was pretty much impossible for Brooks to walk in his boots for the first time let alone ice skate on them.  I finally put them in the sled and pulled both of them up and down the driveway.  That worked for awhile.  I was convinced that Brooks was going to slide around and knock his head on the concrete.  When my nerves could take it no more I took him in. He was so mad.  
Ice Skating

Maneuvering



Not quite....







My boots that I was waiting to wear.




Super cool CARS boots that light up from Gram.



Later that day...
For anyone who has been over, my new favorite book and website is "S*** my kids ruined."  It's hilarious.  Brooks is auditioning for that book.  Today, while at Target I got a text from Ray.  "Can you buy a cage for Brooks, he just pulled over the lamp." As in my stained glass floor lamp that I love.  It managed not to break, but this was after he had scaled a gate, pulled off an entire shelf of books, snuck upstairs, ripped up a laundry basket full of clothes, poured the dog food over his head and took a spongebath in the dog water- all before ten o'clock.  In addition, the pictures below are of him caught in the act of a crime.




Yo, Brooks.  What are you doing?


Maybe if I stomp on it, I can cram it into the magazines.


If you see our toilet paper like this, you know why.

 I feel bad too.  I escaped for a few hours under the guise of grocery shopping and Target shopping with Heather. (This means that Ray was left alone with one kid with an attitude and one who is determined to destroy everything we own one small piece at a time.) We really did go to Target and Safeway.  And then we had lunch.  But we were a little leisurely.  We spent some time looking at hair products for both of us at Target.  Usually I fly down the aisle dump something in the cart that resembles shampoo or conditioner and then keep moving.  Half the time I end up buying straightening cream and not shampoo. Or gel.  It was nice to walk in a civilized manner up a beauty product aisle without fear of the kids ripping everything into the cart.  Or screaming because you had to read a label.  Hooray! 
We are looking forward to a good playoff game tomorrow.  Abby and I are going to work on making food in the morning.  Hopefully, the Ravens will win.  It's much needed around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment